Future of Henderson House under review
Henderson House Historic Structure Report FINAL (August 2014)
The Henderson House is a two-and-a-half story Queen Anne-inspired home located at 602 Deschutes Way in Tumwater. The home was built in 1905 for William Naumann, a brewmaster from Hamburg, Germany who worked across the river at the Olympia Brewing Company. At the same time, the brewery was also building a fine new six-story brewhouse-a landmark structure of red brick and sandstone that opened the following year. In its day, the house was considered quite modern with novel conveniences of hot and cold running water, steam heat from a coal-fired boiler and electric lights in each room. Electricity was provided by the Olympia Power and Light Company, which had just erected a new powerhouse on the river below the home, down at the Lower Falls. The (now) Henderson House was occupied by several families, before the city purchased the property in 1974 with the aim of restoring its dignity and using it as a museum.
The house is listed on the Tumwater Register of Historic Places and the National Register as part of the Tumwater Historic District. Over the years some work has been done to repair and restore the home and bring back its aesthetic details, but house has been closed to the public since 2011 and the fate of the house is undetermined.
The Tumwater Historical Commission authorized a study to help the City determine the best use of the Henderson House. At one time, conversion to an early 20th century period house was planned, but the commission needs more information to determine the best use and cost. Artifacts Architectural Consulting, Inc. was selected to conduct a historic structure analysis and report for the house and site. The final report assessing physical structure, alternatives for future use, feasibility, costs and ultimately, an action plan should be complete in 2014.