Building codes and regulations provide for and promote the health, safety and welfare of Tumwater residents, today and into the future. City and state building codes are made up of building, fire, plumbing, mechanical (heating and air-conditioning), electrical, and sign regulations. It’s important that each new and existing structure comply with these codes to ensure equal and safe access for everybody. The Washington State Building Code is comprised of several different codes. Most are national model codes adopted by reference and amended at the state level. Others, such as the Washington State Energy Code, are state-written state-specific codes. Local jurisdictions are required to adopt these codes for application in their jurisdiction.
Tumwater’s officially adopted codes:
Building codes establish predictable, consistent minimum standards that are applied to the quality and durability of construction materials. According to the International Codes Council, "minimum requirements” means that the construction meets the criteria of being both "practical and adequate for protecting life, safety, and welfare of the public." U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website
Tumwater's technical staff are 100% tested and certified by the International Code Council (ICC). - June 2014
Where to find codes
- You can view these codes on line for free at http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/
- Copies of the codes can be purchased through the International Code Council.
- State of Washington amendments can be viewed on the Washington State Building Code Council website.
- You can also check out copies of these codes at Timberland Regional Library.
- The City of Tumwater also has copies of the codes available for viewing by the public. Visit Tumwater City Hall, Community Development Department during business hours.
If you have questions or don’t understand a specific building and fire code requirement, you can always contact the City of Tumwater Community Development Department at (360) 754-4180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.