The Schmidt House is owned and operated by the Olympia Tumwater Foundation.
The story of Three Meter
Built in 1904 by Albert McIntosh for the Schmidt family, this house was dubbed "Three Meter" by the Schmidt’s five sons who were called to continually climb the hill from the Brewery to the house.
The house is a two-and-one-half story structure combining Colonial Revival elements with bungalow influences in a west wing added in the 1920s.
In addition to the garage, another small outbuilding was constructed in the 1950s on the property east of the house. A memorial garden exists, where the remains of Leopold and Peter Schmidt and their wives are interred. The property is now owned and maintained by the Olympia Tumwater Foundation. The house is used for Tumwater’s historic programs, and private and public events.
Visit the Schmidt House and Tumwater Falls Park for more Tumwater history
For hours of operation, tours, rental information, history talk series and more, visit the Olympia Tumwater Foundation website or call (360) 943-2550.