Historical Register

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Built in 1904 by Albert McIntosh for Leopold and Johanna Schmidt and family, the house was dubbed "Three Meter" by the Schmidt’s five sons who were called to continually climb the hill from the Brewery to the house.

The house is a two-and-one-half story structure combining Colonial Revival elements with bungalow influences in a west wing added in the 1920s.

In addition to the garage, another small outbuilding was constructed in the 1950s on the property east of the house. Originally a stable and coach house, as well as a greenhouse stood on the grounds. Also on the grounds is a memorial garden where the remains of Leopold and Peter Schmidt and their wives are interred. The property is now owned and maintained by The Olympia-Tumwater Foundation which rents it for private and public events.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Tumwater Historic District.
Return to full list >>