Historical Register

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
The Brighton Park Grange was the first organized in Thurston County in 1905 and served as an umbrella organization for many other county granges. The first hall, built in 1910, was destroyed by fire in 1917. The location of the original grange is not known. The grange then purchased the old Brighton Park School in 1917, which was enlarged to the present size by adding the dining room. The Brighton School District #63 was organized in 1897 and consolidated with Tumwater in March of 1917. The school and then grange was located approximately where the Tumwater Fire Station is now on Case Road.

In 1942, the War Department required the Grange Hall to be moved away from the runways at the airport, which was being used in the war effort. The building was moved to its present location.

Brighton Park along with Chambers Prairie and Valentine Grange organized the Thurston County Pomona Grange in 1908. The grange elected its first woman master, Ada Lewis, in 1911.

The hall is used by a variety of community groups as a gathering place for dances, card parties, weddings and wakes. The grange, located in an urban setting, continues to be active bringing together urban and rural members.

Listed on the Tumwater Register of Historic Places.
Return to full list >>