Historical Register

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Brower House is significant as a rare example of the Pioneer style house in Tumwater. A native of Indiana, Benjamin Brower came to Tumwater in 1890 after coming west from Missouri in 1884. His wife, Jennie Little Brower, was from Ohio. They married in 1868. John Rison, a local carpenter, built the house for them in 1895. Benjamin Brower worked in saw mills and was a longtime employee of Olympia Light and Power Company. He was also a Tumwater City Council member. Brower served in the Civil War in a Missouri regiment of volunteers and was active in the Grand Army of the Republic. The Browers had seven children. Benjamin Brower’s obituary read, "He was a man of good character and habits and kindly nature, and the title of "Uncle Ben," which many of his younger friends called him reflects the liking and esteem in which he was held." He died in 1910. His wife died a year later.

John Brower and his wife Luceba [Luceda] lived in the house after the death of Benjamin and Jennie Brower. He worked as a laborer at the Tumwater Lumber Company and later as a janitor for Tumwater schools. They were succeeded in the house by Alfred and Rebekah Brower, a son and his wife. Alfred worked as a driver for firms including Capital City Creamery, as a fireman for the Northern Pacific Railroad and as millworker and maintenance worker. He was also a Tumwater City Councilman. The current owners purchased the house from Rebekah Brower.

 

Return to full list >>