Historical Register

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Located on the original Ira and Jane Ward property, the area was platted into Ward’s Homestead in 1883.

It is believed that this house was built about 1880 as one of the original farmhouses in the area and that it originally had a cooking shed and outhouse. The water supply came from a large cistern dug on the side of the house into which roof water flowed from a downspout through a charcoal filter, which consisted of large chunks of charcoal in a square brick structure.

After a succession of owners, Fred and Minnie Groom Galloway purchased the house in 1926. Galloway worked at a local furniture factory. The present appearance of the house probably dates from the 1920s when it was updated from its 19th century appearance. In this area, most who lived in this had animals, gardens and fruit trees which enabled a subsistence type of life way.
Return to full list >>